Thursday, September 9, 2010

"You're a Million Miles Away and I Miss You So Today"

The old adage proclaims that absence makes the heart fonder, and is often irritatingly true. Like many of the millions of South Africans temporarily or permanently living outside the country, I miss home. A lot. Not just Mrs Ball’s Chutney or NikNaks (both of which I can buy for exorbitant prices from a shrivelled ex-Pretorian). Not just the mountain or the sea or the weather or the food. It’s that and other things too. I miss walking along a road and seeing people of all different shapes, sizes and colours. Or hearing different languages and practicing my faltering isiXhosa with ever-patient tutors. I even miss catcalls, shout-outs and rude gestures on the street – being politely first world is just no fun. In short, I long for the gees, and not only that belonging to the World Cup.

South Africa is cheeky, dangerous and hilariously funny, often because if it wasn’t, it would just be so much more sad. It’s a country with raw emotion, burgeoning creativity, a lack of electricity and bandwith and an overflow of bright, brash colour. So whenever I get overly sentimental (now, you say?) and bored with the bland safety and inane comforts of the first world, I play these songs.

1. Jack Parrow – “Cooler as Ekke”

Crazy guy, crazy song. One that only a true South African would understand. Zef rap is astonishingly comforting from outside the border, although I’m sure that once home it might not be my most often played song.

Best Line: “Jy’s die ou met die new, fresh look, Ek’s die ou met die Pep store broek”

2. Freshly Ground – “Chicken for Change”

Who could be sad or stand still while listening to any of this band’s songs? We started shuffling to Doo Be Doo and carried on from there. This is their new politically charged song, which showcases famous characters and is a Zapiro collaboration.

Best Line: It’s not a line at all, it’s Helen Zille’s dance moves. She’s awesome!

3. Karen Zoid – “Aeroplane Jane”

Gorgeous artist and, in my opinion, her bestest song! It’s so beautiful and evocative that you should listen to it instead of read this. I love the funny lyrics paired with the plaintive melody.

Best Line: “And the strange man next to me, don’t say thank you, don’t say please…he just cut my cheese”

4. Mandoza – “Nkalakatha”

I’m bopping in front of my screen right now (sadly in quite a white way). And although I don’t know what it means, I know all the words. The ultimate party song!

Best Line: “Nkalakatha… … Mandoza

5. Soweto String Quartet – “Millenia”

This band has such a happy sound, and brings back Kirstenbosch picnics (overcrowded blankets, spilt wine, wind and fun)

Best Line: The looks on these guys’ faces says it all! I love their music videos.

6. Seether – “Careless Whisper”

If this choice is cheating because they are now based in the United States, I don’t care. To take a beautiful melody from whiny to rip-your-clothes-off sexy is quite a feat, and one I’m forever thankful they achieved.

Best Line: “There’s no comfort in the truth, pain is all you’ll find”. And his voice. Mmmm

7. Parletones – “Push Me to the Floor”

How do I choose just one song? I never have favourites and they are beyond a doubt my favourite SA band.

Best Line “Don’t stand next to me, I love the smell of ecstasy, it makes me feel inspired”

8. Gang of Instrumentals – “My Number One”

This song is such a fusion of cultures and music styles and just works. Whoops – I’m bopping again. Great South African band, I could dance (or just shuffle) to this anywhere!

Best Line: It’s pretty much “Mother of my baby, you are my number one”. A lot.

And now I’ve had my SA fix and I’m smiling. Have a great weekend everyone!

1 comment:

  1. And the strange man next to me don't say 'scuze me when he sneeze
    Someone come and save me please I think that he just cut the cheese.

    ReplyDelete